Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BASKETS, BASKETS?

I'm starting this blog because I have not been able to find what I need on the Internet regarding coiled baskets made with yarn. Yes, there are quite a few sites online that show yarn coiled baskets, but only a couple of them have decent looking baskets. And ONLY ONE of them has fancy designs on their baskets. At least that was all I could find, and I have been looking for months now.
I did take the starting instructions of one crafter on this site: http://www.thecraftytipster.com/woven-basket.html#comment-66, and she also gave me some insights and suggestions for the color changes. And I am grateful to her, I have taken her suggestions and modified them to my needs, and gone on from there. I am still in the learning stages, and since I'm pretty much on my own the progress will probably be slow. My postings will, at this time, be slow, too because I am busy making a living. I wish I could make my living with my crafting and my sculpting.

I'll be posting as I'm learning.
But here are some of the things I've started... a few are finished and some are a work in progress.

I do welcome any positive feedback and suggestions. Note: I said "positive"... I know what I've done wrong so far I don't need anybody else to tell me that. I'd like to find out how to improve my art. And it is art, so it is very subjective.








My very first attempt.

Note how the colors bleed into the previous row when changing colors. This is something I have worked on really hard to try to avoid. I personally do not like that at all.



Second Basket unfinished. Here I'm adding finishing edge. But note that as soon as I wanted to add more contrasting color it showed up in the previous row. In this case I felt it was just fine.



Third Basket/Vase is also finished, but still not quite what I like. The neck should have been a bit thinner... but, what can I say... live and learn. :-) My youngest daughter has it sitting on her entertainment center. It looks a bit lost there, so I think I'll make her a larger one.




I tried my luck with a different design for my fourth vase. The colors were requested by another daughter of mine and it will be pretty large/tall.

4 comments:

  1. Just found this post from 2010 and wondering if you are still at it. I love the last one. I am just now experimenting with making rope baskets and found you through pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a beginner at coiled rope yarn baskets. I just wanted to let you know that your pieces are absolutely wonderful. Such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 💘 your baskets! I also just found your site! Hope to see 👀 more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encontrei o seu blog, agora. Gostei demais do seu trabalho e da busca de aperfeiçoamento. Espero que tenha continuado. Porque já estava muito bonito.

    ReplyDelete